Pennsylvania Voters Against Fracking Pledge
I, _______, pledge to the people of Pennsylvania that I will instruct and/or advocate for the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection to cease issuing new hydraulic fracturing well permits until such time as the practice aligns with the people’s “right to clean air, pure water, and to the preservation of the natural, scenic, historic and esthetic values of the environment” as stipulated by the Pennsylvania Constitution.
The nature and extent of the threats posed by the process of hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” demonstrate the need for a statewide moratorium on fracking while comprehensive studies, independent from industry influence, can be conducted to understand the serious issues raised to date. Necessary studies include:
- A health impact assessment of fracking in Pennsylvania.
- A study of how fracking contributes to climate change, including analysis of the life-cycle emissions of methane and carbon dioxide from the industry and the effect of unconventional development oil and gas on the transition to renewable energy sources.
- A study on the disposal of oil and gas industry wastes into landfills and underground injection wells, including the threat of earthquakes.
- A study of the immediate, near-term and long-term environmental impacts of fracking on water resources, air quality, agriculture, public lands and forests.
- A study of the economic and social costs borne by local communities with fracking.
In making this commitment, I stand with the Pennsylvania State Democratic Committee and their stated position supporting a statewide moratorium, as well as the people of Pennsylvania at large, who overwhelmingly support this common sense policy.